The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

A merry Christmas

I now know where the merry in Merry Christmas comes from. It comes from Ireland and it harks back to the state you find yourself at 2 minutes to midnight on Christmas Eve. A merry state. A drunk state.

I've never so much as thought of spending Christmas Eve in a pub but here, here, in Ireland, here, they get into the pub at 11am and don't leave till Santa has delivered all his presents.

To be drunk on Christmas Eve is a strange thing to this South African. I've been to Midnight Mass, I've been up waiting for Santa and I have been fast-asleep late Christmas Eve but this is the first time I have been both hungover and drunk on the night. We visited three pubs, quaffed countless pints and sang many a good Christian soldier Christmas song.

It's mad. It's crazy. It's all spirit. It's Irish.

Happy Christmas all!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Katie said...

I love the photo. I am glad you got a christmas photo. But aren't you supposed to be in Austria? I can imagine it was qutie an experience being in a pub on Christmas Eve. Happy Holidays Watson and I hope you find someone warm to spend a few with.

6:59 AM

 
Blogger ian harvey said...

you lucky, lucky bastard!...i wanna spend xmas eve in an irish pub...smyths in ballinamore high street actually...and pat joes pub...and lawrences...and.......

11:40 AM

 
Blogger Slight Clutter said...

When in Rome... ;)

You are just enjoying the spirit(s) of Christmas. More power to ya!

4:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home