The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Quitting coke

Two weeks on from booting caffeine from my life has left me largely unaffected. No headaches, no chemical cravings, no physical pains. I have never been one to have mood swings and that hasn't changed either. In the first week I did find myself sleeping more but that has ebbed and flowed into a roughly regular 9 hour pattern.

The worst part of this change has been loosing the comfort of a warm cup cradled in my hands. I have found myself wanting the process of making a good cup of tea more than the tea itself. Found wanting that first scalding sip of liquid more than the coffee itself. Wanted to hear the crack and hiss of a fresh can of coke. To solve this I have started buying hot chocolate which has much of the process without reverting to caffeine. Someone asked that surely drinking hot chocolate is worse but I don't need to slim down (quite the opposite) and one hot chocolate a day is not flooding my body with unwanted chemicals (I have gone for the fat-full, real-sugar option rather than the carcinogenic, but slimming, fat and sugar free version.) I also have made my twice weekly muffin a daily occurence and am drinking far more plain water than I used to.

I didn't expect any health benefits to have kicked in yet and they haven't. So all in all it is going well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Is this your first time quitting? I think I'm on about #6. This time does seem to be going better for me, yet I still ache for the bubbly burn of a Dr Pepper. Best of luck!

5:27 PM

 
Blogger peterchen said...

What about roibush tea? It can give you the feeling of a hot cup without the caffeine.

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Paul Watson said...

Rooibos you mean? It is from South Africa originally and I can't stand the stuff. I am not a fan of herbal teas and rooibos is one of the worst :)

Thanks though.

10:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home