The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

R.I.P Uncle Steve

My uncle died today; Steven Cooper.

He is the last of my relatives that I thought would die young. He died aged 63 from cardiac-arrest after triple-bypass surgery. While running the Comrades Marathon 15 years ago he had a heart-attack. He had bypass surgery then but has been fine ever since. The doctors today said that they simply couldn't repair the damage, arteries too gone to salvage. They did their best but we just don't know enough.

Uncle Steve was a wonderful man, an uncle a boy is fortunate to have. I'll remember him well. From our fishing trips on Kariba dam to the time he took me up to 60kph in his motor-boat on the Zambezi river, just the two of us. The times at his his home in Bulawayo, beers by the swimming pool and G&Ts next to the tennis court.

My aunt, Aunty Gwen, must be distraught and my dad is pretty wrecked over it too. My love to all of them and I hope I can make it down for the funeral. It's tough being on the other end of the world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Octavo said...

I'm sorry to hear about that Paul, my condolences to you and your family.

8:31 AM

 
Blogger Slight Clutter said...

My condolences to you and your family, Paul.

11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home