The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Monday, February 20, 2006

PMW P1231

Imagine for a moment that magazines and newspapers titled their stories like companies name their products. A New York Times story on Cheney's hunting accident* would be titled "NYT DC HA 001" while Jacko's court case might be "Wacko Special CC1xT Supreme."

What the hell am I talking about?

I just got back from 9 days away from my feed aggregator and on opening the PC Magazine New Product Reviews feed I was presented with the most unintelligble list of product names this side of 1970's USSR military resources.

Saitek A-250, Plus V-339, Podzinger, Konica Minolta PagePro 1400W, Lenovo ThinkVision L201p, Cingular 2125, Vizio L32, Westinghouse LTV-32w1, Proview RX-326, Velocity Micro Vision GX and Nokia 6102/6101.


Did I just stumble across a list of produce codes rather than marketable, understandable product names? No. Those are the names. I only know the last two products are mobile-phones because that is what Nokia makes. Otherwise they could have been Swedish massagers for all I know.

Why can't the Westinghouse LTV-32w1 (say that three times fast) be named the Westinghouse 32" HiDef TV 2006. Keep the LTV-32w1 bit for when it breaks and I need to phone Westinghouse support, but keep it in the manual or on the back of the telly. Don't make me sound stupid when I go to a store and ask for the Westinghouse el, tee, vee, dash, thirty two, double-u, one.

* Why is the second-in-charge of the free world hunting anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home