The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The evolutionary knot

People who think evolution is a load of crock often use Lego to highlight how building bricks randomly bumped together don't form anything. They transfer this to the elements, molecules and other chemistry matters on which Lego has little bearing. Their arguement is that if Lego can't form complex shapes from component pieces then life, love, the universe and everything else that evolution may have touched also cannot.

Well. After having just spent 10 minutes unravelling the knot the earphones for my iPod nano arranged themselves into I have to disagree. Given enough time I am sure the cord could form, say, an eyeball or Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Watson said...

hehe, nice one Stone. Glad I am not the only one who has thought of this. You know what they say, great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ.

7:17 PM

 
Anonymous David Stone said...

While I don't believe in macro-evolution, I have always found that argument funny for exactly the same reasons. Heck, one time I was playing devil's advocate for evolution with a student here at UCSD. When he brought up the lego example, I just pulled out my headphones and said "I didn't arrange them like this."

He didn't really have a response.

That's when I let him know that I was only playing devil's advocate. I know. I'm mean. :-p

7:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home