The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Canon EOS 30D

Canon have announced the Canon EOS 30D digital SLR, a minor update of the Canon EOS 20D. I think a good number of people were excepting a lot more from the 30D, it has been talked about for years now.

Having recently bought a 20D I can safely say I won't feel any pain about not having waited for the 30D. The only new features of the 30D which I would want are; the 2.5" LCD, 100,000 cycle shutter and the spot-meter. The last is a welcome improvement. Also the 30D is apparently going to be priced lower than the 20D.

Sadly Canon are persisting in the DirectPrint nonsense and have put a whole, physical, non-customisable button on the back of the 30D for it. First the 5D and now the 30D, soon every DSLR. Why they think any DSLR above a 350D needs this is beyond me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Octavo said...

But Paul - it's a FEATURE. Think of all the marketing copy that would die a horrible death if they couldn't proudly state in garish letters on the box "Print at the touch of a button!" and "Now, using Canon(r)(tm) patented technology - DirectPrint(tm)(r)- you can print at the touch of a button(r)(tm)"

And so on... :)

1:56 PM

 
Blogger Paul Watson said...

Absolutely true, David. The crazy thing is these are professional cameras. They cost upwards of $1300 and are used by enthusiasts and pros, not the general public. No one who buys a 30D is fooled by the button or thinks it is a great feature.

2:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*gasp*, *shock*, *horror*

PAUL!!!! you used my REAL LIFE NAME ON T3H INTARWEBS!!!! Now, "they" will be able to hunt me down!!! :o

2:15 PM

 
Blogger Paul Watson said...

Oh shit, sorry David Adams Johnson of 28 Laguna Way, Cape Town, South Africa (telephone number +2721 555 6942.) I'll be sure to refer to you as Octopussy from now on.

2:20 PM

 
Anonymous Octavo said...

Octopussy :( bastard.

2:25 PM

 
Blogger Paul Watson said...

I am building up some seriously bad karma here, aren't I? I'd better watch my ride home tonight. Any strange lights in my mirrors and I am diving into the bushes.

2:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home