The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Google talks

I flipped the switch to connect the Google Talk Service to the public XMPP network this morning. Google Talk users can now chat with users on other XMPP services and vice versa.

from XMPP Federation by Gary Burd of Google.

This is excellent news. My main criticism of GoogleTalk on its launch was that while it used XMPP its servers were not federated, effectively creating yet another closed IM network like MSN, Yahoo! and AOL.

Effectively anyone with a GMail account can now IM with other XMPP (I still think "Jabber" in my head) users.

From what I can tell this is the first major company to support XMPP on a practical level. I doubt it will open up the other IM networks just yet but it is a step in the right direction. We use Exodus, an XMPP client, here at work and I'll be pushing for our servers to be federated allowing my GoogleTalk contacts to contact me directly.

Sadly most of my IM traffic is still through MSN. But now I can start advocating GoogleTalk to my contacts and have a leg to stand on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home