The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Opening large text files

I had to open a large HTML file (9.5mb weblogs.com ping list (careful!)) and view the source. Nothing much was handling it. Internet Explorer and Firefox naturally bombed. Windows Notepad choked as did Word 2003. I then tried Visual Studio .NET 2003 thinking it wouldn't have a problem but it dilly dallied and died on me. I then gave Notepad++ a try but while it opened the file fast enough it bombed scrolling to the last line.

Then I remembered Notepad2 which my mate Brian is always recommending and I have on my laptop.

Worked like a charm. It gave me a warning but it handled the large file just fine. So well done to Florian Balmer, the creator of Notepad2.

2 Comments:

Anonymous David Stone said...

Notepad2 positively rocks!

8:10 PM

 
Blogger Gregg said...

Thanks for this post. After moving gigs, I've been on the lookout for a free replacement for Ultraedit(BestEditorEver). In my view Notepad2 comes pretty close.

11:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home