The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Oh dash it

The thrice-identified moravec skittered forward on silver-spider legs.

from Olympos by Dan Simmons.

I am no grammar expert but if that sentence had to have a dash surely it should have been between "spider" and "legs" and not "silver" and "spider"? The legs are those of a spider and happen to be silver. I don't even see the need for a dash, there is no confusion to be seen as one would need for the use of a dash.

Right?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the dash is used to suggest that it is the spider that is silver, not just its legs?

7:52 PM

 
Blogger Paul Watson said...

You would think so but the rest of the paragraph shows that the only spider-like part of the "moravec" are its legs.

Having read further into the book though I have found half a dozen more mistakes. I think Simmons had this book typed out in a rush.

8:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home