The journal of Paul M. Watson.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Radio Gaga

For awhile I thought I was going mad. Sitting before my laptop, reading an email or doing some work, the wireless headphones nestled on their cradle and my music player off I'd begin to hear a faint song. The first time it was a fast dance track that I had just been listening to. I put it down to some strange memory loop or my ears still vibrating from the pounding rhythm. A few days later I heard it again, this time a song I had not played in years. Then again, a song I had never heard before.

I began to worry.

It couldn't be a neighbour; they were all out at work. I checked my house-mates Hi-Fi; completely off. I checked their radio-alarm clock; not even plugged in. I leant close to the speakers of my laptop but nothing came from them. I briefly wondered if fillings in my teeth were picking up radio waves but then remembered I have no fillings.

The songs continued and I came to accept my growing insanity.

Like the voices of the damned I was to be haunted by Milly Vanilly or Hit Me Baby One More Time at inopportune moments. While replying to a distant ex-lover's email on came a Barry Manilow track. How appropriate I thought, maybe the singing voices were benevolent or even helpful. Then came a Maryln Manson track while talking to my mother on the phone; there went the benevolence.

And then just now as I finished listening to some Green Day, properly on my headphones, the phone resting on my shoulders I heard a well known local DJ begin his intro speel. I raised one 'phone to my right ear and there it was, distant, interference galore but quite clearly, the source of my madness.

Those damned wireless headphones.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon Newman said...

Can fillings really detect radio waves? Or is it just another urban myth like the Boogeyman and free lunches?

1:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home